What is LoosenUP?
LoosenUP is a high-quality antioxidant supplement containing a blend of vitamin E, vitamin C, selenium, magnesium and chromium to support horses during times of illness, stress, recovery from injury and strenuous exercise.
Why do I need it?
The terms “free radicals” and “antioxidants” have become commonplace when discussing equine health and nutrition, but why should we care about them?
Does your horse eat, breathe, sleep and move around? I’m guessing the answer is -yes! If your horse is doing any of the above they are undergoing a process known as oxidation. Oxidation is a normal metabolic process in which fats, carbohydrates and proteins are converted into energy to fuel bodily functions.
While oxidation is an essential process, the production of free radicals is a nasty side effect. Free radicals are unstable molecules that are LACKING an electron. In an effort to become “whole” again they seek out other molecules in the body and steal their electrons. This causes irreversible damage to cells and tissues. Fortunately, the body has a natural defence system in the form of antioxidants, which help prevent damage from free radicals.
A good example of oxidation is the rusting of a nail. We have all heard that one. So, lets discuss an example in horses, which is what we really care about! Most of us own a horse so that we can ride him/her. Did you know that exercise speeds up oxidation due to increased oxygen consumption? This releases a cascade of free radicals that can quickly overwhelm the horse’s natural store of antioxidants. Like humans, horses undergoing strenuous exercise are subject muscle soreness or stiffness, which is an indicator of oxidative stress. Illness and injury also increase oxidation and, depending on the severity of the condition, can also place a lot of pressure on the body’s supply of antioxidants.
So, what can we do about it?
Supplementing your horse with LoosenUP during periods of stress, illness, injury or strenuous exercise can help to maintain a healthy supply of antioxidants to combat free radical damage.
How LoosenUP works:
Antioxidants – Vitamin E, Vitamin C & Selenium
- The main function of vitamin E, vitamin C and selenium is to protect cell membranes from irreversible damage caused by free radicals during oxidation (e.g. exercise).
- Because of its water-soluble nature, vitamin C can work both inside and outside the cell to combat free radical damage.
- Vitamin C also helps by regenerating vitamin E.
- Selenium works in conjunction with Vitamin E to maintain the cell-protecting action of Vitamin E by detoxifying peroxides.
- Antioxidants also boost the immune system by protecting the immune cells from free radical damage.
- An essential mineral required for energy production.
- Vital for normal muscle and nerve function.
- Relaxes nerve impulses and reduces nervous behaviour in some horses.
- Activates many enzymes in the body.
- Helps restrict lactic acid accumulation during exercise.
- Chromium supplementation is vital for optimal muscle development.
- Chromium enhances the activity of insulin. Insulin is vital to many body functions, most importantly dealing with dietary sugar, and in facilitating muscle growth.
- Maintains regulation of glucose metabolism.
Features & Benefits
- Unique blend of antioxidants and minerals to reduce the risk of mild exercise-induced muscle damage, soreness and stiffness.
- Assists normal muscle and nerve function for better athletic performance.
- Accelerates recovery time.
- Promotes a healthy immune system.