“Some people believe that icing and or poulticing a horses legs is only needed when there is an injury but as my vet reminds me, PREVENTING damage from heat and exercise is much easier, cheaper, and less heartbreaking than TREATING damage from an injury.”
This is what we do around the stables at Peter Lock Racing.
Clay Poultices and Icing
This routine is something we do all year round, more common in the summer months or when the tracks are starting to firm up but we believe this clay poultice routine is very important.
Young horses who are feeling their shins, older horses with that wear and tear on their joints and horses who are galloping on firm tracks will all receive this routine to keep them at their utmost best.
For the benefits of clay poulticing, we use the product SwellDOWN
- Delivers a drawing action to help reduce swelling, heat and inflammation.
- Fast and effective tightener around knees, ankles and tendons.
- Wet clay, essential oils and minerals have a cooling effect on the skin.
- The clay binds the actives together and retains moisture.
- Can be used to help draw out stone bruises and general hoof soreness.
- Softens and moisturises the skin.
- Washes off easily with water.
- Contains NO substances in concentrations which breach the rules of racing.
We have an ice machine, which provides us with unlimited crushed ice daily. Horses will be iced for 15/20 minutes after working and then clay poulticed.
Horses carry a very large amount of bodyweight on relatively small legs, with about 60% of this weight carried on the front legs. Because of this, the front legs will often take a pounding, particularly if the ground and footing are hard, uneven, or muddy.
Icing is a fantastic practice to get into after a hard gallop or run on firm ground. If begun very soon after exercise, icing can help to take down any inflammation before it is even noticeable to you.
Focus primarily on the tendons running along the back of the legs, and secondarily on any joints that might be overly stressed in your discipline (i.e. fetlock and knee).
- Icing your horse’s legs cools the tendons, soft tissues, and hooves
- Reduces inflammation in the tendons, ligaments, and joints. Arthritis in joints is painful and can be helped by icing
- Helps prevent long term wear and tear on your horse’s legs
- Works to prevent soreness after exercise – the same soreness that you get after a workout.
We hope this provides you with a little more information on what we do here at Lock Racing, we are always out to provide the best possible for our horses.
Kelato’s SwellDOWN contains a special mixture of montmorillonite clay and unique ingredients that have a cooling effect on injuries often caused by hard knocks or jarring. The clay, used as a poultice, draws out heat and reduces swelling commonly generated at damaged sites to aid a more rapid recovery. It is fast, effective and an excellent tightener around knees, ankles and tendons.
- Magnesium Sulphate: Delivers the cooling drawing action to lessen pain.
- Potassium Aluminium Sulphate: Works to ‘tighten’ the leg, keeping swelling and inflammation at a minimum.
- Calcium Carbonate: Adjusts the poultice to the correct pH level.
- Oil of Peppermint and Eucalyptus:
- Reduces muscle pain and inflammation.
- Creates a cooling sensation; keeps horse comfortable.
- Glycerine: A humectant (retains moisture) which softens & moisturises the skin. Reduces itchiness.
- Wet montmorillonite clay: Binds the actives together and keeps them wet, so effective for longer.
The take home message is to cool things down quickly after exercise to help reduce inflammation and start the healing process. So, keep a tub of SwellDOWN handy during training and for after each race!
SwellDOWN is the original and the best!
If you would like more information, please contact us on 1800 KELATO or email email@example.com
Written in conjunction with and thanks to Peter Lock Racing and Kelato Animal Health 2020.