We all know what it’s like to have an unfocused horse on our hands – even the simplest task becomes a struggle. Whether it’s loading on the float, performing in the ring or staying settled on the trail, we rely on our horses to be cool and collected for what’s ahead when training, travelling or in competition.
To help riders and horses maintain their natural edge, Kelato set out to create a product that helps calm your horse without affecting performance – keeping them relaxed and alert. The result was BetaCALM Powder and BetaCALM Paste.
BetaCALM Powder has a unique combination of four ingredients to nutritionally support nervous horses without affecting performance.
- Tryptophan: An essential amino acid that stabilises the horse’s mood, reduces anxiety and lessens the stress response. Tryptophan is not produced naturally by the horse and beneficial levels are not found in feed. It is converted in the body to serotonin, which helps to induce a feeling of calmness.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): A B vitamin that plays a vital role in nerve transmission. Hard-working horses or those on a high grain, low forage diet may have reduced production of thiamine in the hindgut due to stress or hindgut acidosis.
- Vitamin E: An antioxidant that helps to protect cell membranes from oxidative damage and maintain normal nerve and other functions.
- Magnesium: Important for cell metabolism, especially in the nervous system and muscles during work.
BetaCALM Paste is a combination of natural herbs and the optimal level of L-Tryptophan, which can be used to create a calming effect in horses that are nervous, excited or stressed.
- Tryptophan: An essential amino acid that stabilises the horse’s mood for a less excitable temperament. Tryptophan is not produced naturally by the horse and beneficial levels are not provided in feed. Tryptophan is converted in the body to serotonin, which helps to induce a feeling of calmness.
- Black Cohosh: A herbal extract commonly associated with mild relaxation in periods of stress or anxiety.
- Passion Flower: A herbal extract that supports a calm and relaxed disposition.
- Hops: This herbal extract contains several nutrients including volatile oils, tannins, flavonoids, organic acids, vitamins, minerals and trace elements. Often recommended as a tool against anxiety and stress, hops has a calming effect.
- Ginger Root: Is believed to aid in the availability of dietary nutrients for digestion and metabolism and to facilitate the utilisation of available energy resources, thus soothing the horse.
As riders and trainers, we’re usually the first to notice our horse’s spell of nerves. Their behaviour changes, they might stop eating or drinking, and the things that are so easy at home become hard to do well – or at all.
Whether it’s a visit from the vet or farrier, a stressful trip or an event that’s coming up, with BetaCALM Paste you can quickly focus your horses’ attention on the task at hand. It’s perfect for any stressful occasion, but especially for settling young stock, or calming nervy, stressed or ‘hot’ horses. This short-term paste formula contains 3 x 10mL per easy-grip syringe.
For longer-term transformation there is BetaCALM Powder. With effective levels of magnesium and vitamin E, it’s a balanced, cost-effective formula that’s easy to use – just top dress your horse’s feed.
BetaCALM is safe, not swabbable, and an Australian made and owned product.
While BetaCALM can make an important difference, remember that your horse’s mood depends on many factors – including diet, age, training, housing, existing pain and digestive conditions. Your horse will feel at its best when everything’s working as one. And so will you.