A large part of the management strategy around Equine Asthma (EA) is about changing environmental conditions but what do you do if you are unable to control the environment your horse is in?
EA is a challenging respiratory disease to get under control, especially because it is often the exposure to environmental allergens and/or triggers that causes it to exacerbate. We are often floating our horses to new locations or need to temporarily stable them, making it difficult for us to manage the environment that they might be entering. These new environments may be full of airborne dust particles or have poor air quality and ventilation, temporarily worsening our horses’ EA.
The first step in managing EA is working alongside your veterinarian to use prescribed medications such as corticosteroids and bronchodilators. The long-term use of these medications will significantly assist your horse during short-term changes to its environment (e.g., going away for the weekend for a competition). But what if your horse requires additional support during these times of change?
My horse is already on veterinary medications. Is there something I can also use when I temporarily move my horse to a new location?
Yes. Kelato’s NEW PulmonAID Paste is a unique supplement that contains a concentrated boost of vitamins, minerals and plant extracts to provide short-term and convenient pulmonary and respiratory support.
PulmonAID Paste can be used strategically on days when you are planning to travel your horse into a new environment or if you know your horse has an intense workout planned and think it might benefit from additional pulmonary and respiratory support.
How does PulmonAID Paste work?
PulmonAID Paste contains a unique formulation that assists in the efficiency of oxygen and nutrient delivery throughout the body and supports the pulmonary inflammatory response to help with stamina and endurance while at the same time supporting normal respiratory function.
- Dimethylglycine (DMG): Helps oxygen uptake in the bloodstream, helping to delay the change from anaerobic to aerobic exercise.
- L-Carnitine: Buffers against lactic acid by creating a reservoir of carnitine in the muscles prior to exercise to limit the initial use of glycogen energy stores. The delay in glycogen depletion delays lactic acid production, supporting overall endurance.
- Grape Seed Extract: Contains oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPCs) which are naturally occurring plant metabolites known for their potent antioxidant activity to support healthy capillaries.
- Chlorophyll: Whilst being a potent antioxidant it can also assist with dissolving mucous by supporting the inflammatory response.
- Bioflavonoid Complex: Provides a source of hesperidin and rutin which are known for their antioxidant capabilities to assist with supporting the normal integrity and function of the lungs.
- Hawthorn Extract: Supports heart health.
- Vitamin C: Horses suffering from Equine Asthma have been shown to have lower levels of vitamin C in lung secretions than horses without asthma. Supplementing with vitamin C can support horses experiencing oxidative stress in their lungs.
- Vitamin E: An essential nutrient that has antioxidant abilities to assist with protecting cells from oxidative stress during exercise.
- Vitamin A: Has antioxidant capabilities and supports chlorophyll’s activity.
- Vitamin D3: High levels of vitamin D in the blood can assist with superior lung function.
Natural source of Silica
- Oat Straw Extract: Provides a source of bioavailable silica. The silica can support healthy blood vessels and capillary walls.